Objective reviews

Objective reviews

Postby ric0shay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Lets hear about some of these knives/kits. I guess I'll go first seeing how I'm asking and all.

Recently I picked up an Angelblades Halo. When all the packages arrived I fabricated a make shift tool out of plastic to assemble the knife. This material was chosen so I wouldn't scratch the finish of the knife when fitting it together.
When the knife first went together the blade was VERY stiff in the channel. Initial one might be tempter to be disappointed but I looked at this as an opportunity to have tight tolerances with barely noticeable blade play.
Moving the blade back and forth in the channel a few times showed where it was wearing. Taking some sand paper an gluing it to a tongue depressor stick I worked the area until I had complete movement with some drag.
I switched to Ajax, Comet or what ever and continued working the area until it was shiny. At this point I decided to remove some material from the spine of the blade. Sure you will remove the black finish but I decided the clearance would be more appreciated. Light pressure and slow are the words of the day here folks.
Slowly working the areas and frequently fitting the pieces has paid off. The knife fires with an intensional push on the button. There is some take up before firing but it's smooth and free of gritty chatter that might be felt on lesser knives.
The fit and finish of the knife overall I'd have to say is well worth the money I paid for it. The machine marks are barely noticeable on the blade and they are consistent. The symmetry of the grinds I think are excellent, as is the blake finish on the blade. I noticed when I was sanding the spine that the finish was pretty resilient.
A really good tip here is to use a quality lube. I used Froglube and the thing operates like a fine watch. Not only that but it smells minty too!.
Attachments
P1020389s.jpg
P1020389s.jpg (219.16 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
P1020380s.jpg
P1020380s.jpg (215.65 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
Last edited by ric0shay on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ric0shay

Boker AK 74

Postby ric0shay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:47 pm

When the Boker AK 74 arrived it came in a box that is supposed to look like an AK magazine. It was nice packaging really and I was looking foreword to assembling the knife. Everything was put together and the pivot screw was tightened so the customs nazis wouldn't confiscate the knife.
In another package came the spring and it's as simple as that right? Wrong, I assembled the knife to see if all the parts would get along. I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a washer and it was overlooked. There was over .032" space between the blade and the inside of the scale. Don't get me wrong the knife would work like this but I'm way to picky to let that go un answered.
The first thing I did was to debur everything. This was a quick job because the quality of the pieces didn't require any work. Even the pocket that was cut for the spring was clean and the right dimensions to work properly with the spring.
Rummaging through my shop I found a washer that was .040". it was also too great in diameter and the inside hole was a tad bit too small, PERFECT!
Reaming out the inside diameter so it slid over the spring was easy enough. Filing down the outside diameter was more tedious. Never the less it came down eventually. I checked the fit to make sure the trigger button would operate freely without the washer getting in the way. The footprint of the washer supports the blade exceptionally well, the only problem now is it's too thick. I lapped the washer down to .036" and test fit and operated it. The blade moved with firm drag so I lapped off another few thousanths of an inch and test fit again. This time it swung without excess drag when the pivot and body screws tightened down.
I must have test fired the thing 50 times after treating it to frog lube.
When it fires it kicks then clicks. Just to compare I flicked a Kershaw Blur. The Boker is way faster. The lock up is solid and there is no noticeable up and down play. Initially there is no side to side play but when you really concentrate there is just a hint of play.
I am so impressed with this thing. It is fractionally smaller than the Kershaw Blur. It's fractionally lighter too, Mine is 3 1/3oz. Finger grooves are usually things I stay away from because they don't normally allow different grips to be used on the knife comfortably. The Boker kalashnikov 74 allows you to hold it any way you want practically without any annoyance. There is jimping on the back of the rounded handle that falls nicely in the palm of the hand when held so the thumb is pressing down on the back of the blade.
There is a little "scritch' as I press the trigger but that could be a future mod. I'm sure a little smoothing will go a long way.
Another possible fault is that the finish wears quickly on the handle. To be fair look at the price and maybe don't carry it in your pocket with keys and change daily. Personally I'm going to get a plastic bucket, fill it with smooth gravel. Take the knife apart and toss the handle pieces in the bucket and gravel. add a few drops of dish soap and water and shake the be gezuz out of it. This should give me a greyed out, stone washed look. Hey, if it doesn't work then I get to start a whole new project!
Actually, I went to switchblade kits a few days ago to get another one of these, that's how much I like it. Anyway, I made the mistake of checking out "lever locks" and became smitten with one of them.
I'll do an in depth review/how to on that one when It comes too.
ric0shay

Re: Objective reviews

Postby sammy da blade » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:55 am

Great reviews, thanks!
sammy da blade

Return to Modern Tactical Automatic Switchblade Knives