My new leverletto kit is here

Help building,making,repairing or customizing your knife

My new leverletto kit is here

Postby 1stnamebassist » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:54 pm

I got my new leverletto kit today and I must say I'm quite impressed overall! I did notice the spring was installed mirror opposite of where it should be so the lever would be operated as a left hand knife so I'll have to cut and remove the pin and reinstall it right. Not a big deal just need to find the right size pin brass stock. Overall quality seems very nice. I'm especially happy about the D2 blade. I'm sure it's safe to assume it's heat treated. I'll probably run a file across it when I have a chance anyway for peace of mind! It doesn't look like a difficult build. I ordered my handle material off eBay. It's a composite abalone look alike. I'll probably have questions at some point. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is the bolster spring pin size if anyone knows it off the top of their head.
1stnamebassist

Re: My new leverletto kit is here

Postby Rubens Blades » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:49 pm

I am very curious as to how it arrived,could you take a pic of your kit? I can walk you through the kit,no problemo. :D
Rubens Blades

Postby 1stnamebassist » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:21 am

Silly me, I just got home and had a chance to look at things closer and I realized the spring was just sitting in there against the pin. I took it out and turned it around and all is good! I was heading out and the kit was in the mailbox and I only had a couple minutes to look at it. Talk about jumping the gun! Thanks for responding so soon however!
1stnamebassist

Postby 1stnamebassist » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:15 am

Hi guys I have a question about grips. I bought a material off eBay which was a composite and I spent many hours cutting and shaping by hand because I don't have power tools to do the job. I was peening the first one on tapping very lightly and it shattered. What materials can be preened safely without it busting the grips? Not a fan of wood but I was wondering if Kirinite can be done safely without the fear of shattering? Not too sure how easy bone would be to work with without a belt sander. I am literally just using a coping saw to cut out a blank and sandpaper for shaping.
1stnamebassist

Postby Rubens Blades » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Bone can be pretty brittle,your best bet would be Kirinite. That stuff is very strong and I have never heard of anyone cracking it.
Rubens Blades

Postby 1stnamebassist » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks! I just ordered some on your recommendation!
1stnamebassist

Postby 1stnamebassist » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:10 am

So I was closing my knife today before tossing it in my pocket and I heard a snap and lo and behold the spring broke! I hardly fire it and I put it away open when not carrying it. The only time I fire it is to show someone how it works. I'm a bit disappointed right now, but I'm still prepared to fix the issue. Are the springs for the Rubens Blades Leverletto available for sale I hope? I'm not setup to produce my own. I would hate to have to relegate it to the junk pile!
1stnamebassist

Postby Madmarco » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:22 am

To 1stNBT! Check http://www.switchbladekits.com, JB will likely have the spring you need, and if not, he has lenghts of round, and square stock, for cheap! Good luck! 8-)
Madmarco

Return to Ask Rubens Blades